No matter your political stance, I probably don’t need to tell you that there is some pretty ugly stuff going on around the world right now. With an election that has literally shaken the country and people fighting each other on social media, it’s hard not to let it all get you down. Everything going on can look a little dim and it’s definitely frustrating when you feel like no one understands. But I say, worry not, because I am here to help you block out the haters and put you back on the fast track to your beautiful empowered self.
To start the process of blocking out the negative we must first take a few plays out of the Leslie Knope handbook. So without delay…
- Recite the Goddess pledge back to yourself in the mirror:
“I am a goddess, a glorious female warrior. Queen of all that I survey. Enemies of fairness and equality, hear my womanly roar!”
2. Find a friend like Ann Perkins who will text you every 30 seconds to remind you that everything will be okay.
3. Keep yourself off the internet and re-watch all the Harry Potter movies or the entire series of Bones from start to finish.
4. Order as much junk food as possible to eat while keeping yourself off the internet.
5. If you can’t keep yourself from the internet, follow a few new blogs about your favorite things.
6. Put together and listen to an awesome playlist full of inspiring girl power anthems. Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Run the World (Girls) – Beyonce
- Maneater – Nelly Furtado
- Circus – Britney Spears
- Express Yourself – Madonna
- Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Kelly Clarkson
- Wannabe – Spice Girls
- No Scrub – TLC (because really, what playlist would be complete without it!)
- Breathing Underwater – Emeli Sande
- One Women – Yuna
- Work B**ch – Britney Spears
- Rise – Katy Perry
- Born This Way – Lady Gaga
7. Dress your best! What better way to show the world you are a confident individual who won’t let the world get the best of you than to slay everyday?
8. Finally the last and most important step; realize that there are billions of people on this planet and not everyone will have same opinions as you and that’s okay. BUT despite this fact that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stand up and fight for what you believe is right and try to inspire change! Again, I think Leslie sums this up wonderfully…
And with that, go forth, reel back your sanity and slay everyday!